0

World as a stage, Life is an act… William Shakespeare

What do I understand from this statement? I really agree with this statement… Many people have other interpretation to this sentence but my personal understanding is something like “Never Judge a book by its cover”

In life itself, many people have invisible masks which they put on during different situations. What do you call your true self? Do you know your true self? What are you? Have you thought of such questions?

I had asked myself this questions many times but I never had an answer. When you are working you act as an employee. When I was at school, I act as a student. When I am at home 4 years ago, I am a child, or siblings but now I am a father and husband. So what are you?

You see you will never get answers to this questions. What you need to do is not to ask what are you but ask what should I be? Take the current situation into consideration. He who could excel the mask changing technique have better chance of survival. Just like a Chinese saying “Follow the wind when you are sailing”. Look at the flow and change accordingly

I loved to be able to excel at the mask changing technique but currently I only have a few masks. There are many other masks that I have but I refuse to use it. You may say that I am lying to myself but in the world today these masks are like a first aid kit. When there is a need to use it don’t forget to bring it. You will be in big trouble.

Now to like my statements to the corporate world in my current situation, many people have dozens of masks. They make be very nice to you at the current moment but when thigs go bad, they will take out the other mask and turn 360 degrees and shoot you back.

Mask helps because at some situations you will have to find scrape goats. If you don’t have one, create one! People may hate you but its better than dying in vain. Let me share a story.

There is a manager who will take back her words when necessary. For people like this we must always keep a black and white copy with her signature. You see it happens before. It all started when we have a new DC to propose. After all survey had been done, we passed a survey analysis to her and asks her to negotiate the rental price. The analysis had been passed to her but I failed to make a copy with her signature on it.

At the next moment, when she failed to negotiate, she will totally ignore the case and wait till you asked. When you follow up with her she will say that she is not informed about this and take out the act dumb mask. When asked about the JR she will say she don’t have it. When you show her your copy she said you did not give me and then puff! The problem is yours.

On normal days, when there is a black and white, she will be very nice to you and update you what she had done.That time she will put on a nice guy mask. She will say it in a manner that you owe her one because she helped you. She will also tell you the difficulties to hope that you will give her an answer. This is wrong! I am an executive and you are a manager. How could you ask for a solution from me?

In scenarios like this you will have to take out your dumb mask. ACT DUMB!!! Never give suggestion unless the boss is around. If the boss is around don’t give direct answers. Take out your act clever masks. Give some suggestions and make the other person make the decision.

You see. The world is just a stage. Life is just an act. When we work we got to have a few masks ready and change it accordingly. Don’t be like me always put the nice guy mask. People may like me but if necessary, I will be the scrape goat.

Anyway nice guys are not always at disadvantage. At the very least, some people (NOT ALL) will help you out if they could. Maybe they will speed up your needs and put them at higher priority. At least wont die off too soon and some people will say nice things for you in front of the bosses. Nice guys is difficult to climb. this is because you did not push the responsibilities to others and have some bad records which hinders your promotion.

If you always play dumb and push the responsibilities to others that is also a good thing but please do not do any mistake. No one will help you and people will make the case big. You can only thrust yourself and safe yourself. If you can do it then congratulations you are ok to push the responsibility to others and climb the corporate ladder faster. This is because you never make mistakes as all issues are faults of others.

0 comments:

Back to Top