Can Cell phone interupt Pilot's Navigation?

While I was in Sabah, I have much lonesome time to watch the discovery channel. Well I was watching this Mythbuster which they are trying to check this myth “Does using a cellphone in the plane causes the plane to crush”.

The myth caught my attention because I often see irresponsible passengers using cellphone on air especially domestic flights.

What is the result of the test? Let me explain little by little. At the beginning of the show, the mythbusters starts by testing if the cellphone could interrupt the equipments in a container box wrapped in a special layer of netting which could prevent interference from outside. The result? Yes the cellphone really did caused the meters to tick without control

Next they did it on a real plane but they are not allowed to fly due to legal problems. So they tried it but nothing happened to the systems on the plane. Yup the myth is busted! It comes to a relieve for me because I know some idiots will not cause my death.

Anyway, then why did the government banned the use of cellphone on air? Well I think it is a better safe than sorry thingy. You see, it is confirmed that the cellphones could cause problems for the pilot but because of today’s technologies these problems had been minimized.

It is not something that we can play around with. We have hundreds of passengers’ life on the line. There is a one of million chances that it could interrupt the pilot’s navigation. Anyway the law also says that we are not allowed to use the cellphone on air. The air attendants have the rights to take legal actions on you

So just on the safe side, turn off your mobile phone everytime you board on a plane. If you do not do that, you are not only putting your own life in danger. You are putting the lives of hundreds of passengers in danger.

Be a responsible passenger and do your part just to ensure a safe journey. You want to be home safely don’t you? I know I want that. Please do not put my life in danger…
Back to Top