0

Life as a Taiko

Recently, I have a case at my workplace where taiko come to one of my company’s retail shop to get security money. As a matter of fact I had met many of them and they always have creative ways to ask money from you. Below are the list of some methods of extortion:-

  1. Hi, I am XXX. I am actually the security of this place. Everyone here pay me RM XXX for protection. Therefore you should also do the same
  2. Hey boss, your streets are very dirty. I actually cleanse this place everyday. I am here to get some cleansing fees
  3. Happy Chinese New Year! I am here to give you a New year visit. Mind to give me an ang pow?
  4. My temple is having some deity celebration, I want you to be one of our sponsor

Don’t you think they are creative? If only they use their creativity in the correct place, maybe they are able to make more money in the correct way. Anyway they also have different types of package where you get something in returns. Below are some of the examples:

  1. For this fees you can choose if you wants the dried meat or the mandarin oranges. Dried meat for RM 500, Oranges at RM 200.
  2. In return for your contribution, you get a table where you and your employees can come to restoran XXX to eat. Its for 10 pax
  3. Here is your receipt. If anyone else comes to get the fees, just tell them that you already paid it to XXX
  4. After payment of this fee, we will stick a Rukun Tetanga sticker on your shop. Therefore if any problems occurs you can call us at this number

So I was thinking… is this taiko business legal? If not why are they looking for so many ways to attract customers? Anyway, due to the fact that I am actually a coward, I wont have any prospect in this business. I think I better spend more time on what I could do compared to dreaming about being a taiko…

0 comments:

Back to Top