0

Humans love to assume “making an ASS out of yoU and ME”.

I remember one of my boss telling me not to assume. It is always better to get solid facts before making any approach but the fact is, its natural for human to assume. Take for example do you wake up and see if the floor is exactly where you last seen it? See we never check if there floor is still there. We assume that its there when we woke up. Imagine the trouble we have to go through if we have to check if its there every morning.

Assuming is not always wrong. Everyone makes their own assumptions. Now here is another example; When I say “Car”, which car came into your mind? It carries different meaning to different people. My definition of car may be Suzuki Swift but my boss’s car may be Mercedes Benz. Here we already made assumptions.

Here is something I picked up from a book which I think kind of meaningful:-
“ A tidy desk shows a tidy mind”, now does this means an empty desk shows an empty mind? This example shows that humans tend to generalize things.

Anyway, frequently when we speak to bosses we always lose in the debate. Wanna know why? The reason is simple, when we speak to bosses, we need to prepare evidence to support our point & grounds but when they speak, no evidence is required. They have the right to assume all they want and we cant go and sound them “where is the evidence?”.

The boss’s mind had been blurred by their past achievements. They already have a mind set that their methods are correct. The evident is now (I am the boss you are my staff). This is evident enough to diminish all other evident. Now, they have the right to assume!

Why people assume? Because it makes life easier. By assuming, I do not need to look for supportive evident to prove my point. By assuming, I need not require so much time to look for my point. Well you may find hundreds of excuses for making assumptions.

Now I am at a point where I do not know whether if assuming is right or wrong. I’m sure there is no definite answer to this question. It all depends on situation. At some point, we have to assume to make life easier but on the other hand without assumptions are better.

Well it just seems that most bosses do not understand their staffs. Well I understand my staffs but I am not a boss… hahahaha… Anyway just blogging about my thinking. It might have bored many of you out there in this article. Comeone lah… don’t be too picky lah…

0 comments:

Back to Top